Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day 12. Do not rely on others to tell you about yourself. Be your own expert.

Sunrise this morning.




A doctor who uses microscopes and blood tests and saliva swabs and chemical analyses to determine your health is akin to you living in Baltimore, but then travelling to San Francisco and using a satellite telescope to look at your own house.  Aren't you able to discover so much more by simply being in your house, and paying attention to what you experience there?

Yes it can be helpful to consult others for guidance when we feel ill, or in dis-ease, but the guidance serves me best when it directs me and my focus back into myself to listen to what's really going on.  After all, I am the closest one to the signals of my own body, so I am able to hear them best.

It is true that sometimes we feel unable to hear our own signals.  We become busy, distracted, noisy internally, and so we cannot decipher our state of affairs.  In these situations it can be beneficial to recruit help.  However, what is most helpful is not to have another person study you and tell you what is going on with your body.  What is most helpful is to have someone help you quiet your noise, relinquish your distractions, settle your busy-ness and regain your clarity and sense about yourself.

You can know more about yourself than a microscope or blood test could ever tell you.  Realize that you have all the information you need, it is simply a matter of being attentive to it.

1 comment:

  1. think about an egg. If it is broken from the outside, the life dies. But if broken from the inside, a life begins. Found that on a blog by a different andrew (read a couple of his posts, not as enlightening/thought-provoking as yours). I found his blog when I Googled "inspiration outside, answers inside". I had wanted to comment to your post with that quote but didn't know the author and hoped to find it. did not find it but found the other blogger. Anyway, all a similar message! I hear it! Another insightful post, Andrew! Maybe you should get a degree in Theology to combine with your Physics degree!

    ReplyDelete